Grand Victorian living on Royal Park
Lancaster Gate is a mid-19th century development in Bayswater, west central London. Immediately north of Kensington Gardens (and adjacent Hyde Park), it consists of two long terraces of houses overlooking the park, with a wide gap between them opening onto a square containing a church. Further terraces back onto the pair overlooking the park and loop around the square.
Until 1865 the terraces were known as Upper Hyde Park Gardens, with the name Lancaster Gate limited to the square surrounding the church. The development takes its name from Lancaster Gate, a nearby entrance to Kensington Gardens, itself named in honour of Queen Victoria as Duke of Lancaster.